Friday, May 21, 2010

Are you kidding me!?!- Angry Commenter

First and foremost.  I realize that I should have been more specific with last weeks “Are you kidding me!?!”. The Local Natives are on French Kiss Records, and Raymond Richards produced their debut Gorilla Manor. Which is the album I had in mind while writing that post.

Ok, so, we’ve all seen them. We’ve probably all even been their prey. I’m talking about, angry commenters. You know. The guy who on the YouTube video of the cat and dog fighting says, “That’s animal cruelty! Why don’t you stop them? You are a horrible pet owner!” When, anyone who owns animals, knows that they fight out of love. They are just playing. How have you never seen this? But that is besides the point. Even if you don’t know this simple fact, and you are going to go with your initial assumption that it is animal cruelty, then what are you doing clicking on the video named, “Cat Attacks Dog. Such Violence!”?

It’s also the people that feel the need to call the commentator before them some crude name. Which in turn causes some defender to then call that person an offensive name. And before you know it, the video of the 10 year old covering Paparazzi, is in a heated debate over whether or not Obama is a Nazi. 

I just don’t understand. What ever happened to if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all? Constructive criticism is an exception. But what these people are doing is not constructive criticism. I feel like it’s the same people over and over again. Or at least I hope it is. It’s people trolling the internet looking for things to rag on. I say hope, because if it’s not the same people over and over again, then our world is in a sad state. When a citizen can’t even put up a video of their child’s birthday party up for the family who couldn’t make it to log on and see without the fear of being heckled, then you know we are in the middle of a sad time.

I tend to not get caught up with comment threads when I see them  going askew, but I think I will start leaving a comment as simple as, “And what does anything your saying have to do with the French Bulldog in the swimming pool?”. Or, you know, something pertaining to the video or article in question. Something simple enough to get their attention. And let them know that continuously checking back on the same thread to see if anyone has commented on their comment, does not make them cool. It actually mostly makes you a tool.

Well, that’s all I can really say about that. It’s an unfortunate occurrence, which only furthers the evidence that the intelligence of our nation is going down to poop hole. (I type this as I make repeated spelling errors of course) There is not really anything we can do about it. People will say what they want. It is the gift and the curse of a free nation. Really though, don’t be afraid to let someone know when they’re being an asshole.

 

Love!! Bryce

No comments: